Monday, March 1, 2010

Module 3-Week 2

This has definitely been the week of opposites; moving quickly from perfect health to suffering with the Norwalk virus to peeking at two very differnt retail stores, to analyzing the compelling nature of various television show sets.

I enjoyed Susanka's readings about how architecture and design effect our experiences. I found this to be true as I observed both Tim Horton's and Starbucks from a customer's perspective. Each left me with a very different feeling and overall experience. The effect of lighting and the placement of furniture greatly changed the way I experienced both locations. I found that harsh florescent light made me feel like I was in a more sterile room and almost motivated me to grab and go as opposed to when the lighting was more intimate and I was tempted to linger. Susan was right; spaces definitely have a feeling. I can see how my students are effected by the spaces within our school. Those that are left blank have an almost institutional feel that drive students out the door as quickly as possible. Whereas classrooms that have wall decorations and a lot of natural light and unique seating plans, motivate both students and teachers to interact with one another. The energy seems to flow in a totally different way within these settings. It's important to remember the emelments that draw us to either Starbucks and Tim Horton's, since both sell coffee. When seeling education, I will take a closer look at my packaging and delivery methods to help create a more compelling experience for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment