Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week 2 Photo Assignment (also posted FB)




I took this photo recently and really enjoyed working on it. After reading the articles available this week, I could quickly see how my initial picture could be improved. I chose to photograph this man because I loved the peacefulness I saw in his posture juxtaposed to the business happening all around him. I feel that the photograph tells an interesting story and evokes emotion. I loved his vulnerability.

In order to "tweak" my initial photograph I decided first to change it to a black and white photo. For me, this seemed to increase the impact by encapsulating the man in what feels like a memory. Black and white shots always give me that feeling. Next, I decided to crop the photo so that my man was the central subject and the extraneous background materials were removed. Though I initially liked having the man perched on the latter above my subject, in the end I felt like he pulled focus. I decided that it wasn't necessary to try to make the latter work and to include all of the wares being sold and decided to adjust my frame. I also increased the contrast between light and dark and paid closer attention to the rule of thirds. I was drawn to the textures and shapes in the scene and the unguarded moment I was witnessing. In the end, though I believe that my photo is still a touch out of focus, I am pleased with the impact that these changes created.

No comments:

Post a Comment