Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 2: Film and Television- My Best Friend's Wedding

This week I had the opportunity to examine a scene from a movie that I really enjoyed watching. I am very familiar with the scene chosen from "My Best Friend's Wedding". Though I thoroughly enjoyed the movie,I found the scene a little annoying as I watched it a few times closely. In regards to the nature of my experience, I noticed that I was leaning in while watching it, and I did feel somewhat anxious as I watched Julianne cringe as each facticious detail of her supposed relationship was revealled. It was quite entertaining to watch the delight on Rupert Everette's face as he improvised every detail, relishing the attention he was getting from everyone at the table.

The song was definitely both unexpected and catchy. I found myself remembering the segment in the article "Percussive editing" that speaks about the difference between theatre and film. In theatre audiences are willing to suspend their disbelief, whereas in film, people constantly judge what they are seeing against their perception of reality. I found that I could suspend my disbelief but I bet others found the scene difficult to digest and too unbelieveable in a sense to enjoy. I do think that it's a somewhat 'cheesy' element of the movie, but I was able to accept it when it was introduced by Rupert Everette's character. He seemed to possess enough 'flare' to make it work!

As for the design aspects, I think that they cast the characters beautifully. Each one had a distinct personality and commitment during the scene that really allowed me as a viewer to feel like I was a part of the conversation. The quick camera cuts showing each character's expressions were fantastic! They really added to the comedic energy and anxiety building beneath the surface for some of the characters. It was like watching a ping-pong tournament of reactions that kept a steady rhythm right up until Rupert's dramatic pause, followed by the first verse! I couldn't help but be reminded of Walter Murch's use of silence in the movie Jar Head. Having only the faint hum of movement in the background, really emphasized how quiet everyone at the table had become while waiting breathlessly for Dion's apparent comment. This technique really worked to elevate the tension and seemed to give reason to let yourself get carried away in the liveliness of the song that followed.

In addition, the lighting and costuming were both bright and cheerful and coaxed the audience to get swept up in the momentum. The writers definitely created a compelling script that offered the actors a lot to play with. The camera angles varied from close-ups to wide angle shots that allowed the viewer to watch how infectious the song had become and the way that even static characters in the background were suddenly involved in the song. It is definitely a compelling and memorable scene, despite the fact that it might not be appealing to all viewers.

I enjoyed my group's debate over whether something that is memorable is therefore, compelling. For me compelling idicates a more intense expereince than simply something I'd find memorable. It would be something that engaged me on multiple levels; some sensory, others intellectual. It is for me be an experience that I'd expect to be more involved with on some levels other than passively observing. In any case, it's interesting to think about. The dictionary defines compelling as 'arousing strong interest.' With this definition in mind, the scene would be compelling to some but others may not have felt engaged by it to the same extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment