Sunday, February 14, 2010

Stories that connect . . .

I love that my life has been made up of little stories that intersect with other people’s stories. Our society has always been focussed on story-telling, even from the earliest recordings of cave men illustrating famous tales on a rock wall. Whether they are spoken, written or visual stories, their purpose and impact cannot be questioned. As an English teacher, storytelling plays a large role in my daily classroom activities. I often read to my students and guide their study of various characters and plot lines. When I think about it, much of my life has been spent recounting my own or enjoying someone else’s story.

It was interesting having the opportunity to watch some of teh Superbowl commercials. I have to admit that I wasn't completely drawn to any of them, but after reading teh articles available, I could appreciate the intended nature and design elements of them all. I personally found that the story behind each one was what determined my connection adn reaction to the commercial. I could quickly judge whether I cared or not. I's imagine students are no more forgiving in the short span of time it takes them to decide how committed they are to listening during a lesson in class.

Having to create my own video this week has made me think about the anxiety my students feel when asked to create a story of their own. I now see that it is crucial to encourage them to give themselves permission to start with an abstract idea and then begin distilling the essence. I often focus my attention on their writing skills and editing skills, without highlighting the importance of allowing ideas to roam freely as Katalina Groh's advised. This concept changes the way I see the art and design of teaching as well as the experience of learning.

One of the articles focussed on the need to answer the question, “so what?” Many times I have heard students question the purpose of what they are learning in school. I think that it is vital to make their learning experiences relatable to the world in which they live. Students, like any audience, cannot be expected to care about something that in no way intersects with their experiences. I know that my school board has recently been pushing teachers to integrate curriculum into real life situations and draw examples from the world that students are living in.

Similarly, having an emotional punch line of some kind allows students to connect on a deeper lesson to what they are learning. When they are engaged, they will contribute, collaborate, and retain more. I know that I need to find innovative ways to keep my student’s attention. It can be difficult to get an adolescent audience to care about something, but if I can find a way to connect my story with theirs on some level, then it will eventually resonate with them. I liked the idea of being able to tell your story in two sentences. Perhaps if teachers used a more direct approach to teaching and learning, students would see a clear direction and hop on board earlier in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment