Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Work of Art in Theatrical Makeup

This week I found myself questioning what exactly is the compelling experience I'm investigating? After some thought, I decided that it is compelling being able to see a transformation from a natural human face into something magical and quite out of the ordinary. It is a physical change that adds depth to the actors character and enriches my experience as an audience member.

When I looked at exactly whose experience I was focussing on, I decided that I am investigating my experience as an audience member. I am planning to view the project mainly through the lens of myself as the beholder. There are some close-ups of the many hands working on the actor's face and a few that show a wider shot of the people applying the make-up. The main focus of my camera is on the face watching the transformation and then later documenting the experience I am having while watching it. The actor is present but not keenly observing the transformation through a mirror, so it more myself as the audience who gets to enjoy the process, despite the fact that the actor will be the one embodying the character.

I plan to discuss the way that the anticipation of the final look creates a compelling experience. Watching the process, like a ritual, makes the experience as well as the final product compelling. I feel excited and curious about the final results. There is a giddiness that arises as the character begins to take form.

My girlfriends are working together to create the work of art. Three of them are applying the makeup and the fourth is acting as the model being transformed into a fairy. The way that they are working together adds to my experience in that there is a fluidity present with all of the hands coming together to create. It is easy to become caught up in the creative flow of brush strokes.

I plan on filming my friends while they transform a face into that of a fairy. I'll be examining why the experience is compelling for me as an audience member waiting in anticipation for the final 'look.' The design will be examined starting at the beginning from the concept of the face make up to the application. I'll be highlighting the many hands it takes to transform a face into a dynamic mask that enhances character and adds a magical quality to the theatre experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment